Friday, April 04, 2008

Willpower

Thanks for all the comments yesterday everybody. And thanks for putting up with such a sleepy, stumbling, rambling of a blog. That blog was as sliced up and stretched thin as Joan Rivers. Badabing!

Anyways. Today's post will be about willpower. I discussed it a bit in my myspace blog, but the blog is reserved for funny stuff, rantings and surveys only. This blog, this one is the real deal.

Willpower. I was reading a blurb in the O magazine I think. (A disgression: I like the O magazine! Yes it always features Oprah on the cover, yes it's Oprah, yes...but the articles are really great! Really! It's like they can afford to hire the really good, thoughtful and original writers! And it's really uplifting. There are so many empowering stories for women in there. Anways...)

The blurb I was reading was talking about how willpower is like a muscle. You have to work at it to make it stronger and sometimes, when it's tired, it's easy to slip up. I know this is true especially for me. One day I will have awesome willpower and then the rest of the week, it's tired and sore. I won't get anything done and I will eat what I crave instead of listening to what my body really needs.

So, I am trying to be more aware of my willpower but being aware in a different way. More in the "this is a muscle and I have to focus on it when I am working it out otherwise I won't be in proper form and it won't get worked at all" sort of way. By being aware, it helps me to focus.

For example, yesterday my willpower was strong. I did lots of schoolwork, I ran errands, I worked out, I ate well, and I was in a relatively good mood all day.
Usually when a day like this occurs, especially after my depression years, my willpower sinks into a chaise lounge, fanning itself, calling for smelling salts and powder. It's weak. It doesn't want to do anything.

But I won't let it take the easy way out today. Today, by being aware of my willpower and pulling its lazy ass off the lounge, I will push it to make it stronger.

I can't say it will work, I can't strain it after all or push it to completely rebel, but I can make it stronger.

Here is a list of my known weaknesses:
*Chocolate, especially right after a meal
*Laying down for a little while, only to get up 2-4 hours later
*Blogging, surveying, myspacing when I should be studying or working (ahem)
*Slouching on the futon with Chris watching movies/shows online when we should be picking up before slouching on the futon
*Having more than one glass of wine when we get a bottle, it's okay to do that every once in a while, but not every time you buy a bottle! Make it last for the next meal!
*Portion control and eating slower
*Putting off schoolwork

So yeah, that's quite a list and I am sure there are things I forgot. But let's take things a little slow, ok?

What things does your willpower not stand a chance against? What are you working on? Thoughts, suggestions, ridicules? Post a comment, I love getting comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home