Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday. Yes.

Yay it's Friday. Which means I get two days where I don't have to get up at 4am. Or at least, where I don't wake up at 4am, get up at 430am, run around like a chicken with no head and rush to work.

Instead we are doing a whirlwind trip to the Hill Country this weekend.

Business.

Chris and I are judging in a speech tournament in Comfort.

It's their 2A District UIL competition.

Most of you probably don't know, but I have been judging in speech tournaments pretty much since I graduated high school. Some district tournaments, but mainly invitationals.

Most of you also probably don't know (here is where I brag) but I also went to State UIL my senior year in Prose. I got 6th overall. It was pretty awesome.

Anyways, it's a fun way to make some money and help out. It's really easy too. I mean, there are some hard contests to decide but it's not like it's the Olympics or anything. You get free food from the hospitality room, although most of the time it's highly processed, highly carbed food like doughnuts and coffee for breakfast and lasagna for lunch. Ugh. But I can't really complain.

Most of the time, I get to see my old high school speech/theatre teacher, Ms. Miller. (Yes, that's me with Lydia and Gary, Wimberley's renowned theatre team and Mercury McCall. I directed a Shakespeare play with Wimberley's Shakespeare under the Stars at the Emily Ann Theatre back in 2002...I was in way over my head.)

Anywho! She is awesome. And totes crazy. She makes the funniest gestures and facial expressions. This time she won't be there though.

It'll be me and Chris and whoever else I usually run into at these events.


On a different note: I had the craziest dream last night. Of course I don't remember all of it, but here's what I do remember:
Chris and I were taking a bag full of food and blankets to this loading area where all these people were being taken away. I think they were being taken to a prison-like camp or to an institution somewhere. Anyways, Chris' ex was in the back of one of the trucks as well as some other people from his past, some of whom I have met when we go back to Tyler and go to church with his parents.

Anyways, we saw one of the guys from Chris' parent's church, who I think leads worship or something and we talked to him for a while. Chris introduced me, which was weird because I already knew him. As soon as Chris spoke, though, his ex who had her back to us, turned and saw me.

I walked over to her and introduced myself. It just felt like the proper thing to do, ya know? I handed her the bag and wished her the best.

I have never, in the five years we have been together and in the almost ten years we have known each other, dreamed about Chris' ex before. So it was a bit surreal.

I think it stems from a great conversation Chris and I were having over a few beers at the pub the other day. We talked about the breakup, the effects of it on his family and peeps from their church. We talked about a lot of stuff that we might have skirted around before, but never discussed.

So I guess I had that on the brain and bam, she just popped into my dream. I hope she doesn't stay there like my ex has. He is always there, just waiting to surprise me in some dream and provoke me.

Issues much? Why yes, I am not ashamed to say so.

I wish everyone a great weekend and I will be back to post on Monday!

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger poshdeluxe said...

hey, my theater teacher's name was ms. miller, and she was cray cray too (and awesome, of course).

i am REALLY impressed that you won 6th place at state. that is seriously awesome. i did my fair share of speech tournaments in junior high and was in *awe* of the people who went to state.

in high school, i decided to stick with plays, but we did always enter the UIL state competition. we never did v. well, but i loved it anyway.

gah, i kinda miss those days!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh yeah, I was in theatre from 7th grade all the way up. Wimberley is kind of known for their theatre, although my years in high school we only made it as far as regionals. But since they have won state many, many times.

You should read my myspace blog about one-act play festivals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home