Tuesday, March 18, 2008

There and back again

So, I took the train down to Austin last Wednesday. I meant to take my camera so I could chronicle the journey and post them here, but guess what I forgot at home? That's right, the camera! Augh!

So the trip down was long. Basically, most of the time, freight trains have the right-of-way over passenger trains in America. So, if you meet one on the tracks when there is only one line, the passenger trains waits, sometimes for an hour, for the freight train to go by. Lame! I think passengers, ie humans, should take precedent over cargo. If the train was faster and more on time, maybe people would ride it more often and then Amtrak wouldn't be in such financial trouble. But I don't know all the details, so I can't give any theories on how this problem should be solved yet.

Anyways, I arrived in Austin and worked at Whole Foods from Thursday to Sunday. Thursday was my one SXSW music festival fun night. I rode downtown with Ginny and we met up with Joy G and Molly at a Dewar's sponsored event in a parking garage. There was free dewars/ginger brew drinks and you know I was all over that. But we were there for a while and rode back home, so basically I was only dehydrated when I got home that night. (It didn't help that I ran that morning at town lake, worked over 8 hours at whole foods and then rode downtown! Hello! Bring on the water, please)

Friday night was girl's night with Bethany and Amelia. And we had fun! Tired and very, very low-key fun.

Saturday I tried to re-create Thursday night but I was dependent upon other people and all my plans fell through. At one point, I was standing with my bike at the corner of 6th and Red River, watching all the punk, hipster, emo, goth, and preppies go to their designated places. Seriously, who dresses in a short dress with high heels downtown during SXSW?

Anyways, I ended up taking the bus home Sat night because I couldn't meet up with my friends. I was a little annoyed at first, but I should have planned better so I wouldn't have had to rely on them when they didn't know about it to begin with. So I got over it.

It was good I went home early on Sat because I had to work at 730am at Whole Foods the next day. Afterwards, I met up with mom and sister at the Y and we worked out for a bit before going to my parent's house for a family dinner. It was me, my siblings and my parents. I can't remember the last time we all sat down to a dinner together. It was fun!

I got to meet my brother's new pup, Jesi, who is so adorable and well behaved! I wanted to steal her, but it was obvious from the way she was staring lovingly at my brother who she really wanted to go home with.

So the train ride home was awesome! We didn't have to wait for any freight trains and we actually arrived 10 minutes early in Dallas, where Chris was waiting for me.

I missed that guy.

1 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger poshdeluxe said...

i saw sooo many girls in uncomfortable outfits, and i couldn't help but wonder if they have some amazingly high pain threshold. cos i am such a pansy. the idea of wearing heels through one rock show, let alone ten, is basically my worst NIGHTMARE.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home