Sunday, August 13, 2006

Home Hot Home

I think that saying is supposed to be Home Sweet Home, but I am just baking in the heat too much to not complain about it.

We booked it back here to Texas. On Wednesday, we drove about 8 hours and made it from Arlington, VA to Knoxville, TN. We stayed the night there and got out by ten the next morning and made it into Tyler, Texas that same day. What? Yes, we drove 13 hours and made it to Tyler and stayed with my in-laws. It was good to see them, although the timing was a bit rough.

Then on Friday at four in the afternoon we pulled into Austin. Hot, simmering Austin. Sigh. We unloaded the delicates from Ginny's loaded down car (like the records) and then tried to stay cool in the AC.

Tomorrow I go back to work and immediately into training. Wow. Two weeks goes by fast.

It's been an interesting weekend here in Austin thus far. Friday night we went to a small apartment warming party where Ginny met a lot of our new Austin friends like Molly, Kim, and Pierce. We also interacted with some very young recent Austin transplants who pushed all the right (wrong) buttons.

What is it about being 21 that is so thrilling and exciting but so annoying as well? It's almost like being a teenager again! I remember when I was 21 and I loved it but I also knew that I was really annoying at times with my "I am so smart and well read and cultured and openminded" attitude. The teenage years of the twenties.

Last night was our friends band CD release party, the Sad Accordians. It was probably their best show, the Parish was packed and the vibe v. v. good. Afterwards, we went to a new coffee shop near our house for an afterparty that lasted until about 4am. Oi vey, speaking of being 21, I think that was the last time I stayed up that late (or early). So, this morning, I pulled out all the 21 year old stops and slept until 130pm. Heaven. Ly.

So, today, my last day of vacation was spent lounging, eating brunch and drinking 2.50 bloody marys and then lounging again before heading to church. Lovely.

Well, my coffee has been drunk, the newspaper beckons me and I must depart for now.

Peace,
Michelle

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I never told you congrats on your new jorb. i love you. you'll do great. wish we could have spent more time together this weekend. oh well. dc is swell. stay posted for more posts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home