Monday, April 17, 2006

Lemme tell 'bout a dream of mine...

Good morning all. Good morning Ann. I think you are the only one who reads my blog. :)

Ok. I shall start off my blogging with a description of some dreams I had last night. The first one was a recurring dream I have had before, but they always manifest themselves in different ways. It was an end of the world dream and I was in Wimberley. I am always in Wimberley when these end of the world dreams happen.
Anyways, I was at my parent's house and it was in the middle of the night. I heard a siren and woke up in the dream, knowing the siren was coming down the road (which is a private, way outta the way dirt road) and then I saw the headlights coming down our driveway. I ran out of the bedroom, down the hall and flung open the door to find a firefighter standing outside the doorway. His face was smudged with ash and he looked tired. And also frantic. "You have to evacuate. There is a wild fire heading this way."
Sure enough, I peeked around him and there was a huge mountain of fire gushing over cedar trees and toppling 200 year old oaks and it was heading right for our house. I woke up the rest of the house and as we were preparing to leave, the firefighters got the fire under control as it licked the edges of our sidewalk. There, it smoldered for a while, sparking and coughing up ash the whole time. The firefighters seemed to think everything was fine. But I was worried about one of those sparks setting fire to our house, our trees, ourselves. But it just festered. And then it came to resemble what you might see on top of an active volcano. There was hardened crust with thin lava-fire running down the sides. I say lave-fire because it wasn't quite lava, but it was quite fire either. So, there was this huge patch of my parent's yard that festered like an open wound of fire, lava, sparks and ash.

The dreams skips ahead in time. I am in Wimberley on top of a hill. And the hills of Wimberley in my dream are really like small mountains. So, in dream-reality, I am in Wimberley on top of a mountain at my parent's church. There are people I know there from my childhood, people who still live in Wimberley. And we are all about to watch a movie at the top of the mountain from a big bus and as we turn and see the valley of Wimberley, I notice smoke across the valley where my parents live. I know it is the festering fire wound and it set off another fire again. And then, there is fire all across Wimberley, here and there, spotted. And then it is at the base of the mountain where i am. I run into the church to call my family. There is little chance of escaping the fire. I call my mom. "Mom, the fire is all over Wimberley now. We need a plan. A place to meet up and escape together. Let's meet at the Woodcreek entrance at 445."
"Why do we need a plan?"

"We need a plan mom! We need to know that everybody is okay and we can get out of the valley together! Woodcreek entrance at 445"

And then I proceed to call all my family members to tell them the exit strategy.
But I have to ride my bike through town, which wouldn't be that hard, because no one is driving anymore as they are trying to escape the fire. But to start off on my journey I have to ride down this very steep dirt and caliche hill on my road bike. (Road bikes have very skinny tires and do not ride well over gravel, dirt or rocks). I knew I would crash. I sat there on top of the hill for far too long, trying to decide what to do.

And then the dream changed completely...

And I am watching a man and his daughter. His daughter is apart of this very special club in town. But it is also very secret. He drops her off at the house, a kid holds open a door and man is standing on the stairs in the house, counting the children as they pass him. And at the top of the stairs is a very, very creepy figure. You are not supposed to see him if you are not a part of the club. You are not supposed to look. But the man and I look at the top of the stairs and see this shadowy, still, fuzzy image of this man. And we both know (although I am just an observer) that he is evil. Not in the way where he would hurt kids, but where he brainwashes them and turns them against their parents and use them for his will. He is extremely creepy and I feel myself get goosebumps in the dream.

He picks his daughter up and begins to ask her questions about this club, the man and the house. But as he is doing so, he feels someone watching them. He was not supposed to look at the top of the stairs. He tells his daughter when he counts to three, they will begin to run home. He says one, two, three and they begin to run.
And my dream ends.


Weird. I wish Lance was here to interpret. I wish I had a meeting with De so she could analyze.

Jewel is playing now. Over the intercom here at the downtown Whole Foods. It seems like forever and just yesterday that this song came out and I was in high school. I was so young and naive. I thought everything was going to be so easy! I would go to school! With an exclamation point! I would graduate and become a journalist! And I would love it! And then maybe grad school! Maybe marriage! Maybe travelling! Maybe drinking fine wines and eating fine food everynight. Maybe just getting out of my hometown and being on my own was enough. Maybe I only gave thoughts on the future not enough time. Maybe I never really knew what the hell I was going to do. I was too busy having fun, loving life, being young and declaring my independence.

Maybe.

Now, I dwell on the past too much. Not as much as I used to, I am not that depressed right now. But I think what life might have been like if I actually finished school at UT. Would I be working at a newspaper? Would I be happy? Would I be with chris? Yes, no, who knows?

But then this moment, right here passes and I spent my time looking back. "Don't look back, never look back" to quote Can't Hardly Wait. If I keep looking back, like I have done before, my life nows hardens, a pillar of salt.

So, that is my focus. The now. The blooming lavender in my yard. Our wonderful dog. The coolness of our bamboo wood floors.

By the way, here are pictures of our floor!




There has been more work done since these were taken. Chris put up cedar trim all around the base and around the windows. We also painted the front entry way a light blue. It looks awesome and when we get around to getting someone with a camera over, there will be more show off pictures to post.

Sweet!

Have a great week.

1 Comments:

At 3:38 AM, Blogger Steph said...

i may not comment a lot, but i still read your blog. ;) i think i see our old blue paint. is it true? i'd love to come see your house and garden(s). i'm glad i'm not the only psycho dreamer that not only has psycho dreams but also remembers them so vividly!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home