Friday, June 24, 2005

Last night, we watched Hotel Rwanda with some friends at our house. For those of you who have not heard of this movie, it tells the story of Paul, a manager of a very respected and expensive hotel and how he saves 1268 people (Hutus and Tutsis) from the genocide taking place in Rwanda.

Oh my God.

This movie was intense. It wasn't very graphic, it didn't show the massacres happening directly on screen. But it captured the intensity, the tension and one could feel death about to the creep around the corner and swallow those people whole.

After everyone left for the night, I sat on the couch and cried. And cried. And sobbed.

I cried because humans can be so cruel to one another over something so abstract. I cried because America spends billions toward our military but instead of helping people being slaughtered (as in Sudan today), we go out and start wars and breed hatred among the war-racked youth. I cried because I wouldn't have been able to be as brave as those portrayed in the movie. I cried because I pictured my husband and I being separated and shot merely because of how we were labeled. I cried for all those reasons and much more.

On a good note, though, over one million people signed the petition to save NPR and PBS, although budgets were cut and a former Republican National Commitee chairperson is now in charge, one battle has been won. But with the budget cuts, that mean NPR might not be able to send reporters to parts of the world where horrific crimes are beig committed, therefore, they won't be able to spread word about it. Anyways...

I am almost done with Spanish class and work for now. I have three more days of Spanish as well as work. I am so tired. I am looking forward to this month off so freakin' much. Please send me good thoughts as I try to survive this weekend and the last days of school.

Michelle

2 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Steph said...

michelle! i found your blog. i'm so glad. this is stephanie from mosaic. i absolutely bawled for hours after that movie as well. come and visit us sometime. i'd love to chat about gardening and life. :) come visit my blog sometime. herland.blogspot.com

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger sourmonkey said...

Hey Michelle, I still need to see that movie. It was always on my list, but never at the top because I knew it was a human film and would be very deep. You really have to be emotionally prepared for a movie like that. Anyway, it's Sat night and we are packing for the camping trip to come see you. Obviously I am getting TONS done.....
Bethany

 

Post a Comment

<< Home