Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Proper etiquette? What's that?

So, in the mornings, my husband drops me off at a local coffee shop so I can study before classes begin. It is quiet, it is in the morning and it is really nice. However, there has been an interruption as of late: a man has been coming into the shop and sitting at a table near mine. Not right next to me, mind you, but near me. He gets a large iced mocha and a cinnamon roll (ack, my arteries !).

But that is not where my problem lies with this gentleman (laugh, snort).

No, oh no, gentle reader, my problem is when he bites into his cinnamon roll and proceeds to smack. Let me rephrase that for emphasis: he proceeds to SMACK.

It is so loud it feels as if he is smacking right in my ear even though he is a couple of tables away. It is highly annoying. It is obvious that others are bothered by it as well. I almost got the nerve to go up to him and tell him how annoying the smacking is, but I chickened out at the last moment.

So, if I were to say something to this guy, what would I say? Here is what I imagine the conversation to be:
"Um, excuse me...I apologize for interrupting, but I was wondering if I might ask you a question?"
"Um..brbwha.." (You see, kind reader, that his mouth would be still full from his last bite).
"Yes, I was...well, I will wait while you finish that bite."
"Snort..bbokah...snort, smack" as he proceeds to inhale the bite as loudly as possible.
"Yes, well...I was wondering if you possibly knew how loud you smack. You see, I am trying to study but it makes it impossible if you are louder than the buses that drive by..."

And there is my problem. How do I finish that? OR should I even broach the subject at all.
Oh, the confusion.

Meanwhile, on the home front,
We got around to painting the room! Yay! But it is not the room that we originally wanted, ie the living room. But we did get something done altough it is not entirely completed yet.

This weekend Chris and I are accompanying his family to the Rice/UT game. Should be fun, I love college football in person, of course.

Take care,
Michelle

PS I love this format of using pictures, inspired by Michelle Collins, the unbelievably funny creator of www.youcantmakeitup.blogspot.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home